Embedded systems designers can right now easily along with also cost-effectively integrate the industry’s most advanced crypto-strong authentication into their designs with the DS28E50 DeepCover® secure hash algorithm 3 (SHA3-256) authenticator IC via Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). With SHA3-256, the DS28E50 delivers the latest technology for challenge-along with also-response authentication, providing the strongest defense against counterfeiting, unauthorized usage along with also additional application problems in a secure IC solution suited for teams with limited or no cryptography expertise.
Embedded systems continue to come under attack by increasingly sophisticated hackers. Designers are seeking to protect product integrity against aftermarket counterfeits along with also strengthen guarantees which sensors inside these devices are genuine along with also not substandard clones. The DS28E50 provides embedded system developers with advanced ability to prevent counterfeiting, aftermarket cloning along with also unauthorized use of smart, connected industrial, medical along with also consumer devices.
In addition to providing the industry’s first SHA3-256 authentication IC, the DS28E50 also integrates Maxim’s patented ChipDNA™ physically unclonable function (PUF) technology to prevent the IC-level attacks which are routinely attempted on security ICs. With ChipDNA technology, which can be derived via the naturally occurring random analog characteristics of fundamental MOSFET devices, secret keys which protect all DS28E50 stored data are generated only when needed along with also are never stored on the chip.
Key Advantages of the DS28E50
- Cost-Effective, Crypto-Strong Security: The FIPS 202-compliant SHA3-256 implementation provides a cost-effective, less-complex way to implement highly advanced, secure challenge/response authentication to defend against counterfeiting along with also monitor or limit peripheral usage. ChipDNA PUF technology strongly protects all device-stored sensitive data via security attacks.
- Ease of Implementation: Single-contact, 1-Wire® communication simplifies interface to end application. The IC includes secured EEPROM for end-application data with multiple configurable along with also irreversible memory-protection modes. No device-level firmware development can be required (firmware can be needed for the host-side microcontroller). In addition, a factory programming service can be available for simplified secure key management.
- Tiny, Low-Power, Rugged Package: The IC requires just 3.3V, operates via -40°C to +85°C, includes ±8kV human-body product (HBM) electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, along with also can be housed in a 6-pin, 3mm × 3mm TDFN package
- “Embedded security can be definitively one of the largest concerns with regards to the IoT, especially in efforts to protect intellectual property via compromise,” said Tanner Johnson, senior analyst, Cybersecurity Technology, IHS Markit Technology. “SHA3-256 can be one of the newest along with also most robust cryptographic algorithms available, along with also any solutions which utilize which are ahead of the curve.”
- “Our latest authenticator benefits applications which require effective crypto-secure challenge-along with also-response authentication for securing peripherals, sensor data, usage control along with also feature setting,” said Scott Jones, managing director, Embedded Security, at Maxim Integrated. “Fortified by the SHA3-256 cryptographic engine along with also ChipDNA PUF technology, the DS28E50 provides industry-leading security to protect our customers’ equipment.”
Availability, Pricing along with also Support
- The DS28E50 can be available right now at Maxim’s website for $0.97 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available with select authorized distributors
- The DS28E50EVKIT# evaluation kit can be available for $65